After the datura and pumpkin picture of yesterday, I was asked why datura are good to plant with pumpkins. That got me to thinking that I could not only answer that question, but 12 others relating to companion planting (a subject near and dear to my heart). Assisting us with this endeavor will be the ever-amazing and never far from me tome Carrots Love Tomatoes by Louise Riotte.
- Datura–protects plants from Japanese Beetle
- Watermelon–good to interplant with potatoes
- Tomatoes–root excretions have inhibiting effect on young apricot trees; tomato fruitworm and corn earworm are identical (keep away!). Potatoes are rendered more susceptible to blight if tomatoes are planted nearby. Do plant tomatoes with onions, chives, parsley, marigold, nasturtium and carrots.
- Garlic–roses love it! Protects your roses from black spot, mildew and aphids. Don’t forget that apples, mayhaw, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries are all included in the rose family!
- Beans and potatoes–their pests eat each other! How good can it get? Plant the beans and potatoes in alternate rows.
- Basil–helps tomatoes overcome both disease and insects and improves the flavor of the tomatoes.
- Mint–helps cabbage and tomatoes. Deters the white cabbage worm.
- Nasturtiums–planted with squash will keep away squash bugs–yes!!
- Pokeweed–grows well under figs, Scotch pines and other trees.
- Sage–protective to all the crucifers against the white cabbage butterfly. Also, sage protects carrots against the carrot fly.
- Yarrow–increases insect resistance of nearby plants. Overall, increases resistance of nearby plants to any and all adverse conditions. Note: I have also heard that habanero plants have this same effect.
- Soybeans–plant near corn to protect corn from chinch bugs and Japanese beetles.
- Sunflowers–benefit cucumbers by providing a windbreak. Corn and sunflowers are mutually beneficial. Sunflowers and pole beans compete for the same space.
Any questions on specific plants? Ask away and I’ll be happy to answer, using Ms. Riotte’s trusty manual.